Tuesday, 6 October 2015

October 6

In Private Hands

I am getting ready to ship this custom made item to the lovely client who asked me to set the stone for her. To follow the steps in making this, see my blog of September 18. I started thinking of the things I have made to order — or for myself, friends or family. So here are some of them.

Debbie's Iolite Pin


That pretty purple stone is called iolite. This one was mined in Australia and hand cut by a talented artisan. The stones are also found in India, Sri Lanka, Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Brazil.

At 7 to 7.5 on the Mohs hardness scale, iolite is not a stone suitable for use in rings. Somehow, this one seemed to be saying "pin" to me. I came up with this design to provide protection for the emerald cut stone while admitting as much light as possible to enhance its wonderfully deep color. I used reticulated sterling so the silver brings its own sparkle to the piece. Besides, the client and I both like that textured look.

And Her Pendant

Here is the pendant I made for Debbie's zircon and beryl. Our fondness for reticulated silver is evident in this piece, too.

My post of July 23 shows the process involved in making this item. Debbie and I both wanted these two stones to pair up in a pendant. The yellow-green of the beryl is intensified by the pure white of the zircon set above it.

You may not know what beryl is, but I bet you know its deep green variation, the emerald, and its greenish-blue one, the aquamarine. It can also be found in pink and, rarely, red.


Earrings in Blue

A couple of years ago, I made this pair of earrings for a returning customer. The blue stone is apatite.





Some years earlier, I "beached" a lovely aquamarine for her as a brooch (below). It was a near-match for one she bought from my shop as a gift. She was, by the way, my first etsy customer.




That setting is cast by carving the shape in cuttlefish bone (yes, the same stuff you put in a cage for your bird to sharpen its beak on!).




Finally, here is the lapis lazuli set I made for myself and a rectangular cuttlefish cast pendant I did for my daughter-in-law.